|Madō Ring Zaruba|
|Zaruba as The Guardian of Wisdom|
|Zaruba Enhanced with Helmet in Ryūga-verse|
|Zaruba in Carved Seal of Flames|
|Zaruba in Crimson Moon|
|Zaruba in Vanishing Line|
|“||My name is Zaruba. I came to be when Garo came to be and I am forever with him.||”|
Character & DescriptionEdit
Zaruba is suggestively created by Makai Priest Amon. A sentient magical ring with attitude, he's the partner and confidant to Makai Knight Taiga Saejima. Acting as his adviser, Horror detector, darkness tracker, and friend, Zaruba served within the Saejima Clan for at least three generations. After Taiga's death, he was transferred to Taiga's son, Kouga Saejima, and later to his grandson Raiga Saejima. A blunt and direct type, Zaruba has a smart mouth, often has a dark sense of humor and mock others for their bad decisions. He always likes the point out the unpleasant side of things as a reminder of their duty as protectors and rubs it in when he's right.
One aspect of Zaruba that was never explained was how he ended up with Raiga. When Legendary Horror Eyrith opened portals between time and space, Kouga's wife, Kaoru Mitsuki, was sucked into the vortex. In an attempt to save his wife, Kouga also jumped in. When he appeared during to save Priestess Rekka and Rian, Zaruba was still with him, but if Kouga is lost in between realms in search of Kaoru, it questions is the current ring worn by Raiga a replica or Zaruba somehow made his way back to Raiga or it was a continuity error.
In this world, madōgus has fallen out of fashion. When the previous Garo had fallen, Zaruba ended in the care of Makai Priest Burai. When Ryūga Dōgai succeeded as the new Garo, Zaruba deemed the young knight too immature to work with him and decided to keep himself in stasis. It was only after tossed to a blinded Ryuga by Burai that Zaruba sees the Makai Knight's resolve first hand and finally acknowledged him as a true successor to the Garo title. By Gold Storm, Zaruba is later upgraded by Ryūme with a metal mask. This allows her to detect if Ryuga is in danger and needs assistance. As an unexpected plus, the mask also forcibly shuts up Zaruba if he annoys Ryūga too much.
While Zaruba seems to perform a similar job like in the original universe, this ring apparently is less powerful as it doesn't seem to perform any abilities as the original does. In addition, this Zaruba has the ability to take the user's life force. According to the ring itself, when the Makai Knight makes a formal contract with him, an unspecified amount of life force is taken; Ryuga's lifespan is shortened by just wearing him. It might explain why mado jewelry phased out of popularity as nobody wants to utilize a tool that shortens their lifespan.
- Carved Seal of Flames: Zaruba was created at the same time the Garo armor was forged. Like other jewelry-based Madou Tools, Zaruba was infused with a pacified Horror soul to serve the first Garo and all those who bare the title after with his knowledge and Horror sensing abilities. During the witch hunts of Valiante, not worn since the death of the previous Garo (though owned by his daughter Anna Luís) Zaruba was damaged and was entrusted to Makai Priest Gael by Germán Luís to be repaired. Zaruba was originally to be given back to Germán sixteen years later after being repaired to be worn by his son León Luís, the new Garo. But Zaruba ended up in the hands of an apprentice knight named Marcelo who killed Gael and ended up becoming the host of the Horror Onbla. After Leon claimed the ring, Zaruba establishes their pact and uses his power to suppress flames within Leon at first. However, León's flames overwhelm Zaruba and he was considered unworthy as he is given to León's cousin Alfonso San Valiante to serve him. Zaruba is later returned to León, considering him finally worthy of the Garo title. As with Ryūga-verse series, he can take the user's lifeforce where the process greatly weakened him/her.
- Crimson Moon: In this story, Zaruba is associated with the Minamoto Clan during the Heian Era. During his time as Raikou's partner, Seimei only allowed him to active during the young man's fight against Horrors as she renders him dormant outside the fight.
- Vanishing Line: As a ring, Zaruba acts as Sword's darkness sensor and tracker. However, he has a greater role than other incarnations. He's also the key to Sword's motorcycle. Once transferred and activated to the motorcycle, Zaruba becomes the motorcycle and the ride becomes his extended body. When Garo activates his armor, the motorcycle also becomes armored. Capable of melee combat, the motorcycle has a pair of mechanical grappling arms with the physical strength to lift a truck and throw it across the field. Unfortunately, both Zaruba and his body were destroyed facing Knight. Zaruba rammed into Knight in order to prevent Knight kidnapping Sophie. Using the last of his magical power, Sword combined the remains of Zaruba's magical power onto his armor, giving Garo a power boost to his armor. Although presumed to be destroyed, his parts were recovered and rebuilt by the Makai Alchemists of Ferre Salé Dessimo. No longer a ring, he's now a fully dedicated motorcycle.
After rebuilt as much more powerful Mado Motorcycle, Zaruba's abilities significantly increased as much as Garo Armor, as his motorcycle body's armored form became more draconic in design and has a fiercer appearance. While his fate after Eldo Net's destruction remained unclear, it's safe to assume he still active as he somehow managed to bring Sword back to real world.
Skills & AbilitiesEdit
The full strength of Zaruba is unknown; throughout the series he's able to help dispel confusion, detect various spiritual energies, summon the Garoken, speak for the dead, temporary flight, breathes Madou Fire (in the Crimson Forest and Ilgishin's horror film dimension), detect Horrors, create parts of himself into a ring to help locate and detect Horrors, and see through illusions. His aid is not limited to Makai Knights, Kaoru once used Zaruba to guide her through the Crimson Forest back to the human world.
- Carved Seal of Flames & Divine Flame: Zaruba was designed specifically for the Garo bloodline. Anyone not blood-related to the Golden Knight's family can't access his power. In this case, only Prince Alfonso San Valiante and León Luís can do so as they are the direct successors of Garo. Zaruba's primary duty is to provide darkness detection and tracking, but at the price of a day's life for its user. Alfonso had a temporary contract with Zaruba, but León is the primary user. Once a month, Zaruba will absorb León's life force, weakening him for the whole day. During that time, he's helpless and needs a safe space to rest as he's helpless and needs tending. Once the process has run its course, León awakens as if he had a long dream. León was endowed with magical flames from his mother to protect him, but the flames are sensitive towards his rage. There have been moments when León can lose his sense of self as Garo. In his berserker state, only by deactivating his armor would calm his senses. With Zaruba's intervention, León's raging flames can be contained to give him better control. However, Zaruba has a limit to how much of the flames it can absorb. If overwhelmed, Zaruba could lose control and may send Garo into its Lost Soul Beast Form. However, after the events of The Carved Seal of Flames, Anna (León's mom) relinquished the flames to contain Mad Makai Alchemist Mendoza. Since then, Zaruba no longer needs to manage León's raging flames.
- Crimson Moon: TBA.
- Vanishing Line: When inserted into Sword's motorcycle, Zaruba can possess it and endows the bike additional features and powers such as Soul Metal plating which includes large armor plate that resembles his face, a large pair of metal arm to grab and pin down Horrors, and spiky wheels that can shred through anything, which active whenever Sword don Garo armor. Zaruba's eyes on the bike's face emit a blinding flash of light that magically marked Horrors blinded by it that wherever they go, they leave glowing sigils that give away their tracks. These abilities enable Zaruba to fight with Sword side by side when needed much like Mado Horses.
Notes & TriviaEdit
- Zaruba's name is old Makai word for "friend", playing with his role as the most trusted ally of the user of the Garo armor.
Articles & ReferencesEdit