Horrors (ホラー, Horā) are fictional monsters in the Tokusatsu series GARO, creatures that Makai Knights face.
Originating from the Makai, the Horrors are the spawn of Messiah and have existed since darkness first came into the human heart. As a result, being creatures that thrive on darkness, Horrors enter the human world to hunt and eat humans. At the beginning of the conflict, Makai Priests came into being to fend off the Horrors. It was only after sealing Zedom that the Makai Order learned to develop Soul Metal and weaponize it in the form of Makai Knights who would be the primary fighting force against the Horrors.
The most common form of Horrors, appearing a black skeletal monsters with angel wings, Yin-Self Horrors originate from the demon world and are attracted to the human world by the darkness inside the human heart. Their travel to Earth is made possible by a Yin Gate, an random object that has been filled with darkness over the years in relation to the regret of an owner or present of a dark moment in history. Either way, Yin Gates activate once a human with inner darkness comes in physical contact with it. From there, attracted by such darkness to the point of ignoring other potential prey, the emerging Horror usually merges into that human's body and consumes the host's soul while uses the body as its own while "evolving" into a form reflecting the Gate it emerged from. While humans with pure hearts would normally not fall victim to a possession, Horrors can bypass this if the targeted person has any form of rage.
In some cases, if there is a common goal or the targeted human's ideals fascinate it, the Horror and its host can enter a symbiotic relationship where the Horror can fulfill its host's darkest desire. Despite being spared, the possessed human is technically dead the moment Horrors enter them and die once their possessors are killed off. But there are cases when Horrors end up residing in animals that happen to be nearby instead and use the human as a minion to do their dirty work and those that enter the very objects they emerged from and control any human holding them. There are a few cases where multiple Horrors can enter one human body should the person have a vast amount of inner darkness to stir up a Horror feeding frenzy.
There are telltale signs of a human converted into a Horror's host, the first being a Madou Lighter used to reveal the host's pale green eyes. Another, as revealed in Yami o Terasu Mono are bifurcated jaws that open up when a Horror, while in human form, is about to feed or screams in pain. Despite the jaws, some Horrors have different feeding methods that reflect their abilities and unique forms.
Ultimately, Horrors are never truly killed as their essence is sealed within a Makai Sword after defeat until the sword is purified at a Watchdog Castle and their essence is turned into a dagger. After twelve Horror Daggers are accumulated, they are sent back to Makai where the Horror is eventually reborn with the cycle of its entry into the human world repeating itself.
Known Yin-Self Horrors Edit
Raiko era Yin-Self Horrors Edit
These are Horrors (火羅（ホラー） Horā) that appear in GARO: The Crimson Moon, their manifestion from the Makai into the human world having influenced the myth of the Preta.
- Engou (閻剛 Engō): A Nio-like Horror that possesses the body of Junkei (順慶), a busshi who murders beautiful women to use them as models for Bodhisattva statues. Junkei ended up becoming Engou's host when his Bodhisattva statue was inserted inside a Nio statue controlled by Dōman. Engou tries to kidnap beautiful women to turn them into a Bodhisattva statue and Seimei manages to lure him so Raikou can slay the Horror.
- Gaira (骸羅): Horrors that possess the bodies of imperial envoys.
- Dogura (怒蜘羅): A spider-like Horror that influenced the myth of the Tsuchigumo. Dogura possessed the body of Katsuragi no Hisayori (葛城 久頼), an apprentice of his Makai Knight father Katsuragi no Chiharu (葛城 千晴). When he and his father were surrounded by Horrors, the young Hisayori ended up becoming Dogura's host when the Horror sense his fear-based inner darkness and used the youth's body to devour Chiharu.
León era Yin-Self Horrors Edit
These are Horrors that appear in GARO: The Carved Seal of Flames
- Black Knights
- Hanamushi (ハナムシ): A Horror that possesses the body of a harlot (娼婦 shōfu) that feeds on her host's clients before being slain by Germán.
- Metaclim' (メタクリム Metakurimu): A dinosaur-like Horror in stocks that possesses the corpse of Guillermo (ギレルモ Girerumo), a Makai Knight who was executed in Mendoza's arranged witch hunt. Metaclim serves Mendoza by posing as the captain of a squad the advisor sends out of Valiante to assassinate Germán and León, only to end up being slain by the latter.
- Ezol (エゾル Ezoru,): A blade-armed Horror that possesses the body of Father Nicholas (神父ニコラス Shinpu Nikorasu).
- Onbla (オンブラ Onbura): A Horror with a lance on his left arm that possesses the body of Marcelo (マルセロ Marusero), an apprentice Makai Knight who was an apprentice to the Makai Alchemist Gael.
- Banbora (バンボーラ Banbōra): A wooden Horror that uses bladed arms as weapons and projects images to lower its opponents' guard. Possessing a woodcutter's doll that belongs to an outcast boy named Alois, Banbora takes advantage of the boy's grudge against the people of his village for murdering his father when he attempted to expose their village's dark secret of performing human sacrifices for good fortune. But Banbora's feedings convince the villagers that Alois's mother, an outsider named Auriela, is a witch and needs to be sacrificed. Once the Makai Knights learn of its existence, Banbora attempts to devour the mob sent to prepare Auriela for sacrifice before being slain by León.
- Jemitre (ジェミトレ Jemitore): A caterpillar-like Horror that possesses the body of Count Romero (ロメロ伯 Romero-haku).
- Almar (アルマー Arumā): A Horror that possesses the body of Jordi (ジョルディ Jorudi), Santa Bard's resident blacksmith.
- Despera (デスペラ Desupera): A Horror that possesses the body of Pepe (ペペ).
- Moneta (モネータ Monēta): A treasure chest like Horror that possesses the body of Donato (ドナート Donāto), a thief who helped Irene steal Germán's clothing and money. After possessing Donato's body, Moneta kills the other two thieves before going after Irene and running into Germán as he manages to slay the Horror.
- Anfel (アンフェル Anferu): A massive and powerful gate-like Horror that came to be known as the Chimera of Orvien (オルビエンのキメラ Orubien no Kimera). The older Makai Knight deciding to use it as a final test his apprentice, Anfel managed to kill Rafael before being slain by Alfonso when he inherit his mentor's Makai Knight armor and title.
- Aboradura (アボラデュラ): An armored skeletal Horror that possesses the body of Lord Rolando (ロランド卿 Rorando-kyō).
- Convexo (コンベクスォ Konbekuswo): A Horror that possesses the body of Count Albar Juste (アルバール・ジャステ伯 Arubāru Jasute-haku).
- Michael (ミケル Mikeru): A young man who idolized a wandering masked physician named Fabian. Possessed by a Horror, Michael assumed his idol's identity while presenting himself in Santa Bard as a miracle physician. In Horror form, Michael has the ability to heal and augment himself using a variety of surgical tools in the drawers on his chest. While Michael nearly killed Germán, his insatiable need to heal and mend led to his downfall when the Makai Knight cuts Michael down while he was tending to his severe wounds.
- Grand Magus (グランドマグス Gurando Magusu): A massive and incredibly dangerous serpentine Horror that burrows underground. Grand Magus destroys Lara's family's farmstead and slaughters the entire family before being cut down by Alfonso.
- Arabel (アラベル Araberu): A raven-like Horror that possesses the body of a Makai Priest named Luciano Guzmán, using his host to slaughter Makai Knights and innocent humans for years. He also has the ability to transform into a high-speed aircraft-like form armed with guns and missiles. Arabel is eventually tracked down by his wife Ema Guzmán and slays him to free her husband.
- Resume (レジューム Rejūmu): A twin-headed Horror that was sealed in an egg-shaped Madō Tool by Mendoza for his use. Resume can be controlled by whoever releases it.
- Gemellus (ゲメルス Gemerusu): A Horror that can create clones of itself.
Kouga era Yin-Self Horrors Edit
- 12-piece Fusion Giant Horror
- Melgis (メルギス Merugisu?): A Horror that is terrorizing the road by murdering those who travel through a tunnel. He is destroyed by Reo with the Gōryū Colt.
- Death Hole
- Rebecca (レベッカ Rebekka): A Horror that possesses the body of a security guard before being slain by Zero.
Raiga era Yin-Self Horrors Edit
These are Horrors encountered in GARO: The Makai Flower
Ryuga era Yin-Self Horrors Edit
- Miho Toyama
- Tousei Kaneshiro
- Hell Zwei
Legules (レギュレイス, Regyureisu) is a Horror that has existed over 1,000 years. They have no recorded history and his movements have no records among the Makai community. 1,000 years ago in the time of the Midnight Sun, Legules successfully crossed through the barrier and revived his followers, the Legules Family. Many Makai Knights and Makai Priests died that day in order to suppress the Horrors that Legules unleashed on humanity. To make sure that the catastrophe will never happen again in the future, the Makai created the Phosphorus Arrow to destroy the barrier and seal away Legules. In the past 1,000 years, he managed to find a gateway to return to the human realm by assimilating a dead body to make it his. Legules is not the usual variety of Horror, he is seemingly demi-human and possessing elementals similar to Oni or Yokai.
He quickly began building forces of his own by converting Horrors and a human into "his family". He then attacked Kantai in the middle of night to find the Phosphorus Arrow so that he can complete his task of reviving his family. He tried to convert everyone including the Madougu of each Makai Knight to join his forces. Goruba somehow got possessed and controlled his bracelet body. When the night raid failed, he transferred himself onto Goruba during the day and came when people least suspected anything wrong. Legules took the arrow and Rin with him. The arrow needs to draw blood in order to succeed his plans for darkness and he therefore kidnaps Rin for that purpose.
Legules capabilities include and not limited to bodily assimilation, dark magic, immune to regular physical attacks, human energy absorption, body transference, martial arts, ultra human strength, ultra healing, body parts that can move without attachment, and biological transfiguration. Once the eclipse began, Legules transformed himself into his true form, a giant metallic-skeleton Horror. In this form he was able to transform into a bladed metal wasp. Legules was defeated when GARO threw the Phosphorus Arrow into him and destroying the barrier at the same time. With Legules destroyed, the demon family vanished.
Legules is portrayed by Mizuho Yoshida (吉田 瑞穂, Yoshida Mizuho?) and is voiced by Hirose Masashi (広瀬 正志, Hirose Masashi).
When Legules possessed a dead body to walk among the human realm, Aomushi (アオムシ, Aomushi) was the man who tried to bury the dead body and he was offered a chance to live by becoming a servant to him. Legules fired demonic energies from his eyes to the man's eyes and was transformed into a member of the Legules Family. Though not possessed, Aomushi counts as a Horror because he serves as an extension of Legules like those he converts. His capabilities are cloaking and being acrobatic. He eventually suffered a severe injury in combat from Tsubasa and Legules finished him off as he has no use for him, reverting Aomushi to his original form.
Aomushi is portrayed by Namihei Koshige (こしげ なみへい, Koshige Namihei) and is voiced by Keiichiro Satomi (里見 圭一郎, Satomi Keiichirō).
Karakuri (カラクリ, Karakuri) are Horrors that has been changed by Legules. Legules carries with him demonic masks and transforms live Horrors into his Legules family foot soldiers. Just like regular horrors, they are able to enter humans and take control of them. However they seem to be unable to blend in naturally as the regular horrors can behave like a normal person. Their movements are very mechanical and move almost like karakuri puppets. They have high regenerative capabilities, have bladed weapons as arms and seem to have a ninja-like combat method. Their combat potential and strength is not above a regular Horror, but Horrors act independently as these horrors serve a master. They don't speak, they merely make sounds and shift their eye sockets up and down as they react to their environment. Their body parts are known to function on their own even though if decapitated. They were all destroyed as the result of Legules' death.
Gyanon (戯阿音（ギャノン)?) is one of strongest Horrors in existence, labeled as Messiah's Fang (メシアの牙 Meshia no Kiba?) and the Ancient Red Demon Beast (太古の赤き魔獣 Taiko no Akaki Majū?). Having seemingly died, the Makai Senate sent a group of three Makai Knights and one Makai Guide to retrieve the monster's corpse from Amber Rock Valley. However, Barago also sought the Horror and Gyanon was no where to be found by either party. It is revealed in Makai Senki, that Sigma Fudō had stolen Gyanon as he intends to utilize the Horror in powering up his Magōryū Idea while reviving the fiend with large numbers of human sacrifices. To achieve this goal, Sigma obtains the pelt of a Spirit Beast to ensure the revived Gyanon is under his complete control while infusing Kouga's body and soul into the Horror to complete his resurrection. Though Kouga is freed, Gyanon awakens after Idea's creation in response to Sigma's darkness, devouring him and assimilating the ultimate Gōryū while assuming his androgynous human-like form. While telling Garo that his resurrection was unplanned, Gyanon intends to take advantage to bring all Horrors into the human world. However, Idea is destroyed with the Makai Knights and Madou Priests joining forces with Gyanon reduced to a head as Garo destroys the bodiless Horror.
Gyanon is portrayed by Peter (ピーター Pītā?).
Apostle Horrors Edit
The Apostle Horrors (使徒ホラー Shito Horā) are powerful Horrors who are near equal to Messiah.
Demon Mirror Horror Karma (魔鏡ホラー カルマ Makyō Horā Karuma?) is one of the Apostle Horrors who lives in a mirror rather than human hosts, though she can turn a human into a Horror familiar if their darkness is great enough. She consumes human souls by showing illusions of their greatest desires, drawing them into her mirror realm and turning their bodies into piles of broken mirror shards to ingest with their souls trapped in the mirror world. Among her victims are untold numbers of Makai Knights who came to slain her, only to be defeated and devoured. Karma is able to jump from mirror to mirror if the one she is currently housed in is destroyed. The sorrows and hatreds of people consumed by her are used for her as childlike Warashi (ワラシ?) and the shadowy Mercenaries of the Demon Mirror (魔鏡の傭兵 Makyō no yōhei?). Eventually, forced to fight Garo, Karma assumes a giant mirror-shard themed harpy form while trying to convince Garo to swear loyalty to her in return for immortality. However, empowered by the fallen Makai Knights' souls within the realm, Garo destroys Karma.
Karma is portrayed by Saori Hara (原 紗央莉 Hara Saori?) and is voiced by Mika Hijii (肘井 美佳 Hijii Mika?).
Mandura (マンドゥーラ Mandūra) is a plant Apostle Horror that appears in Garo: the Animation. Mandura constantly wails and moans while uses its vines to ensnare and whip victims. Mandura is cut down with the combined efforts of Alfonso as Gaia and León, who had become Garo once more.
Kurusu (クルス?) is a Horror under Karma. Originally an elderly painter named Kenichi Kurusu (来栖 謙一 Kurusu Ken'ichi?), Kurusu was driven mad by the death of his lover, Shion. He eventually snaps and kills a girl he was using as a model for a painting, trying to emulate Shion onto her. Karma, hearing his anguish, transforms him into a Horror, restoring his youth, and revives the said girl's corpse in Shion's image. In his human form, Kurusu fights with a large sword, holding it in a reverse grip. His Horror form is a large, skeletal creature composed half of bone and half of a fleshy substance. Finding Shion dead, Kurusu goes after the Kouga and Rekka while refusing to accept his love for the girl is a lie before being destroyed by Garo.
Kurusu is portrayed by Shinji Kasahara (笠原 紳司 Kasahara Shinji?), his original form portrayed by Akira Nakao (中尾 彬 Nakao Akira?).
Shion (シオン?) is a Horror under Karma. In reality, she is a Horror created from the corpse of a girl Kurusu murdered prior to his transformation and altered to resemble the real Shion who died long ago. Her Horror form is not monstrous like most, only possessing a single white wing and an angelic outfit. She is killed by Rekka, her body lasting long enough for Kurusu to find before it dissolves into feathers.
Shion is portrayed by Hiromi Eguchi (江口 ヒロミ Eguchi Hiromi?).
These are the Horrors that appeared in Kiba Gaiden.
Garius (ガリウス Gariusu?) and Blade (ブレイド Bureido?) are two Horrors that were among the many that were absorbed by Kiba. While Garius is a serpentine flyer, Blade is a giant mantis-like monster.
Kokuryū (哭竜?) is a dragon-like Horror that exists within the mind of Barago in Kiba Gaiden and exists in a space produced by Sigma Fudō in Makai Senki
"Madō Horrors" (魔導ホラー Madō Horā?, "Heretic Horrors") are an unique form of Horror first created by Zedom by infusing human bodies with Horror Seeds, bound to serve the one who sires them. As a result, unlike regular Horrors, Madō Horrors are born directly within the bodies of humans and are thus an aspect of the human they are born into. As a result, having red pupils, the humans that become Madō Horrors are able to adapt more easily than Inga Horrors with the need to feed a secondary priority. This also enables them to hide from the usual means of Horror detection, Makai Knights and Makai Priests are forced to use investigative deduction to hunt Madō Horrors before developing a specific device that exposes a Madō Horror's identity. Unlike most Inga Horrors that devour human bodies, Madō Horrors rip the soul of a human and devour it with the body turning to dust. In a fight, Madō Horrors can create weapons from parts of their bodies and are stronger than Inga Horrors. During the events of Yami o Terasu Mono, Tousei obtained the plant created from the remaining Zedom Seeds and uses them to sire Madō Horrors to aid him in controlling Vol City from the shadows. For unknown reasons, Garo is the only knight capable of slaying Madō Horrors, with an adverse effect from inflicting damage on Madō Horrors and killing them causing the Garo armor to regain its golden appearance while rendered unwearable for the moment.
Ady Slate HorrorsEdit
Only than the normal type of Horrors that appeared in Makai No Hana, there are also special Inga-Self Horrors that serve as pieces of Ady Slate to contain Eyrith.
Garo: The AnimationEdit
- Blood Moon (ブラッドムーン Buraddo Mūn) A massive and powerful Horror that is also known as the Apostle of Dawn Moon (暁月の使徒 Gyōgetsu no Shito). Blood Moon is summoned forcibly by Mendoza from Zirkel's Circle. Blood Moon unceremoniously devours Mendoza mere seconds before he can battle Alfonso, who had just taken up Garo's sword.
- Anima (アニマ) is an ancient giant Horror of great power that has sealed beneath the Valiante Kingdom by the Makai Order ages ago. Having been working towards this goal through conquering Valinate, Mendoza intends to revive Anima and obtain immortality. The Horrors that Mendoza already released on Valiante would serve as a food source for Anima as the being would open a gate to that would release countless Horrors from the Makai.
Garo: Gold StormEdit
- Degol (デゴル Degoru); An ancient Horror that was slain by a previous Garo ages ago, the Horror's arm is currently sealed in a small shrine located in Line City.
- Radan (ラダン): An ancient Horror, labeled as the Legendary Demon Castle (伝説の魔城 Densetsu no Majō), that was sealed by the Makai Priests of old before the seal was undone by Jinga.
- The Horrors are designed by Yasushi Nirasawa, who also designed the Undead, the Worms, and the Imagin monster groups from the Kamen Rider series and the original monster designs in Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger that are mostly used in Power Rangers Super Megaforce.